9.14.2009

1-888-BETS OFF

Posted in by Kourtney | Edit
My dog is sitting in the corner, glaring at me for neglecting him and my schoolwork. I should be studying for chemistry, government, and nutrition... but I'm doing more constructive things with my time, like blogging.

Have you ever been stuck in line at a gas station behind someone making insane purchases of lottery? Scratchers, Powerball quick picks... you name it. The alluring thought of winning big must be what keeps these people going, because they don't stop.

As a clerk at a local convenience store (gotta love college jobs!), I see more than my fair share of this inane use of money in this economy. The man who buys a $1 Quick Pick every day, in the hopes of someday hitting those lucky numbers. Sometimes it's just for fun, like the two older ladies who came in to try their luck on their shared birthday- 09/09/09.

But sometimes, it's just a sheer waste of money. I've seen people win $100 on a ticket and walk away with $20 of the cash and $80 in scratchers. WTF?

If I had a choice between $100 cash or a few more tickets to scratch, I'd be on my way to another paid bill, a full tank of gas, or a birthday present for myself (the reminder that I'm getting old too fast is coming up).

I guess it's the nature of the beast, but I just don't understand.

Sure... a couple million dollars would be nice. What would you do with that much money? I know what I would do.

Pay off my student loans. Build my dad's dream house. Take my mom and sister on a shopping spree. Construct a mini sports arena so my nephew can play whatever he wants whenever he wants. Buy a real Coach purse. Buys books... lots and lots of books. Build my own house. Quit my job. Finish school. Invest.

And whatever else responsible people do with money.

But really- does anyone ever win those drawings? I've never met anyone who has. So I won't be running out to buy my very first lottery ticket in hopes of making those wishes come true.

I'll wait for my own personal genie to come rushing out of a bottle to do it for me.

Kourtney scribbled at 7:59 pm

0 Comments


Leave a Comment